COVID-19 cases and deaths dropping globally, WHO says – National | Globalnews.ca


The variety of coronavirus instances reported globally has dropped for a second consecutive week and confirmed COVID-19 deaths additionally fell final week, in accordance with a World Well being Group report issued Wednesday.

In its newest pandemic report, WHO stated 9 million instances had been reported, a 16% weekly decline, and greater than 26,000 new deaths from COVID-19. The U.N. well being company stated confirmed coronavirus infections had been down in all areas of the world.

Learn extra:

6th COVID-19 wave: Experts urge masking, boosters to tackle latest surge

Nevertheless, it warned that the reported numbers carry appreciable uncertainty as a result of many nations have stopped widespread testing for the coronavirus, that means that many instances are probably going undetected.

WHO stated it was additionally monitoring an omicron variant that could be a recombination of two variations: BA.1 and BA.2, which was first detected in Britain in January. WHO stated early estimates recommend the recombined omicron could possibly be about 10% extra transmissible than earlier mutations, however additional proof is required.

Story continues under commercial


Click to play video: 'COVID-19: ‘Far too early to declare victory’ over virus, says WHO secretary-general'




COVID-19: ‘Far too early to declare victory’ over virus, says WHO secretary-general


COVID-19: ‘Far too early to declare victory’ over virus, says WHO secretary-general – Mar 2, 2022

The company has continued to warn nations to not drop their COVID-19 protocols too shortly and predicted that future variants might unfold simply if surveillance and testing methods are shelved.

Final week, the U.Okay. stated COVID-19 had hit file ranges throughout the nation, with authorities statistics estimating that about 1 in 13 folks had been contaminated. These figures got here on the identical day the British authorities deserted its free testing program.

Learn extra:

COVID-19 will be with us for ‘foreseeable future’ PHAC says, warning of future waves

In the meantime, Chinese language authorities performed extra mass testing this week throughout Shanghai, which stays in lockdown following one other soar in infections; town has recorded greater than 90,000 instances however no deaths through the pandemic.

Regardless of rising public frustration and considerations about financial results, China says it’s sticking to its hard-line “zero-tolerance” strategy mandating lockdowns, mass testing and the obligatory isolation of all suspected instances and shut contacts. Following a public uproar, Shanghai authorities stated Wednesday they’d permit a minimum of some dad and mom to stick with youngsters contaminated with COVID-19, making an exception to a coverage of isolating anybody who checks optimistic.


© 2022 The Canadian Press


Leave a Comment