Ontario ‘staying the course’ on lifting COVID-19 mask mandate, health minister says – National | Globalnews.ca


Ontario’s well being minister mentioned the provincial authorities is “staying the course” on it’s choice to life the necessary masking mandate, regardless of specialists saying the province is now experiencing the sixth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Christine Elliott made the remarks throughout a funding announcement at North York Common Hospital on Thursday.

The minister was requested whether or not there have been talks about probably reinstating the necessary masks mandate which was lifted earlier this month.


Click to play video: 'Ontario providing additional $3 million for expansion of North York General Hospital'




Ontario offering extra $3 million for enlargement of North York Common Hospital


Ontario offering extra $3 million for enlargement of North York Common Hospital

“We’re staying the course, we don’t anticipate that we’ll want to maneuver again to necessary masking,” she mentioned. “Besides in sure areas the place it’s necessary, most of it’s discretionary.”

Story continues under commercial

Elliott mentioned individuals ought to be “affected person” and “sort” with each other, noting that some might really feel extra comfy to proceed sporting a masks in public settings.

Learn extra:

Ontario opposition want government to share plans for handling rising COVID-19 cases

Elliott mentioned the provincial authorities “knew that the numbers of COVID sufferers would go up” because the province lifted restrictions saying “there’s actually no shock right here.”

She mentioned Ontario’s prime physician Kieran Moore famous there could be an increase in instances on a “variety of events.”

“However what we have now now that we didn’t have earlier than is a extremely vaccinated inhabitants,” she mentioned. “We even have antivirals and there are different instruments that we have now that we didn’t have earlier than.”

She mentioned we even have the potential in hospitals, ICUs to “deal with any will increase.”


Click to play video: 'COVID-19: Ford says he doesn’t think Ontario removed mask mandate too quickly'



COVID-19: Ford says he doesn’t assume Ontario eliminated masks mandate too rapidly


COVID-19: Ford says he doesn’t assume Ontario eliminated masks mandate too rapidly

“So we’ll get by way of this, however once more it’s not sudden, we anticipated that this could occur and we’re ready for it,” she continued.

Story continues under commercial

Elliott mentioned the provincial authorities will “proceed to take a cautious method” as Ontario continues with its reopening plan.

“And naturally we depend on the recommendation and proposals of our chief medical officer of well being Dr. Moore, and his advisors,” she mentioned.

Learn extra:

Ontario COVID numbers: 807 people in hospital, 166 in intensive care

Nonetheless, Elliott mentioned “at this level,” it “doesn’t seem mandatory to want to take any additional precautions.”

“However we’ll proceed to observe it, and as Dr. Moore provides us recommendation we’ll definitely be able to take it.”

Elliott mentioned if the federal government must take additional measures, it should.

“However thus far, it doesn’t seem that we have to try this.”

Learn extra:

Ontario heading into another COVID-19 wave, expert says

Elliott’s feedback come because the province reported 807 individuals are receiving care in an Ontario hospital with COVID-19. A complete of 166 are in an intensive care unit.

Specialists have mentioned the province is within the very early phases of a sixth wave of the pandemic, as take a look at positivity and wastewater indicators counsel the virus is circulating within the province extra extensively than earlier than.


© 2022 World Information, a division of Corus Leisure Inc.


Leave a Comment